Sunday, July 8, 2007

In my last post I introduced you to the chácara. Now I'm going to share how I became involved in this ministry. Back in January, I decided to take a three-day retreat of prayer and solitude. It was the first time in several years I had done such a retreat, and it came at the right moment, for I was needing a time of re-encounter with God. I was still in the throes of depression, and I was desperately seeking some direction for myself. What was God really calling me to do in my life at this moment? I was feeling useless in my vocation as a missionary. How could I take the talents and opportunities I had been given and use them in the service of the kingdom?

During the course of this retreat, through prayer, meditation, reading, and observing nature, I perceived God revealing three directives for me. One was to go back to school and continue my education, so in April I started my master's degree in psychology through a distance-learning institution. Two was to use the English language in some kind of professional manner, so I've begun translating scientific articles here and there from Portuguese to English - fantastic brain exercise and extra money. Three was to begin going to the chácara once a week and making myself available to them to serve in whatever way I could. So every Wednesday, since the beginning of February, I have been working at the chácara.

I do a number of different things; no Wednesday is alike. One of the most important things I do is informal counseling with the men in recovery. I listen to their story, ask questions, offer consolation, check on how they are doing, pray with them, try to befriend them. I have built significant relationships with several of the men through this ministry. I also help purchase their monthly food supplies - as you might imagine, 20 men can eat several horses in a month's time! Our church is currently helping to build a new dormitory at the chácara, so I am helping coordinate that project. And I've had several meetings with folks in the community to try and bring in outside resources to help the halfway house become a self-sustaining entity.

What makes this all worthwhile is seeing lives transformed, like these seven guys here (left to right: Rafael, Everton, Dilamar, Alessandro, Daniel, Salvador, and Claudemir).


These seven guys gave their lives to Christ in baptism on June 24. Praise God!! They are all walking firmly in the light.

I work closely with Isaias, a Brazilian volunteer who runs most of the day-to-day operations of the halfway house. Next time I'll tell you about this extraordinary man and our friendship.

No comments: